Library Reading and Supplementary Reading serve almost similar purpose. They are akin to each other. Library Reading encourages extensive reading. All book-lovers are regular visitors to libraries. Library Reading needs no supervision. It is purely independent reading. It is for the sake of enjoyment. It does enhance knowledge. Library Reading provides a lot of information.
The need for a good library service in a modern school is no longer an issue for debate. The changed concept of education as a process of self education, the role of library has assumed highly important. In the past days school education was entirely dependent on the text books but today the concept of education had drastically and widen therefore reference work had become the major part of learning process, so the rote of lib proved very effective.
Definitions: -“Library is an educational social agency which promotes self -education for each individual of the society”.
“Lib. Is an essential instrument of putting progressive methods into practice?”
The secondary Education commission Stated that —”Library is the hub and centre of the intellectual activity in the literary life of the recognize school and play the same part, via; as the laboratory plays for science subject or the workshop for technical subjects.”
Library is not only important for students but it is also important for Teachers to find resource material. For schools to create education & climate for the public and other stuff to develop the reading habit.
Role of a language Teacher to motivate Students to use library by Nursery Primary Teacher Training :-
Teacher can motivate students to use the library books or we can say that the Teachers only can guide students and make them aware about the potentiality of library from educational perspective.
- Teacher along with the help of librarian can announce prize such as the Best Reader awards to students.
- Teacher can ask students to refer the Dictionaries, Encyclopaedias
- Competions like – Debate, Discussion can be arranged in library hail.
- School magazines made by pupils can be kept in library.
- Every month some students should be selected and asked to narrate about the book which they liked most or the had inspired them.
- Students volunteers to be selects to assist and help the librarian.
- If possible small section of library can be converted into language
Characteristics of Library Reading
- Library Reading is like supplementary Reading.
- It is unsupervised reading.
- It is not done in a formal situation like class-room.
- It is not done in sot lessons.
- It supplements extensive reading.
- It is private reading.
- It is for personal enjoyment and recreation.
- Library Reading provides knowledge and information.
Organising a Reading Programme by Early Childhood Education Program
- A library period should be provided in the time-table.
- During the periods books should be distributed to the students by teacher. They can be exchanged by the students.
- The teacher should acquaint the students with the book. He may ask some questions.
- The contents of the book are described by the teacher in an easy manner.
- The teacher should organise reading competitions in the class.
- An occasional assessment of reading competence of students should be conducted.