Psychology is the subject which had touched all the aspect of life, from Industrial Sector to personal Behaviour.
The Nature of the soul could not be designed and could not be defined.
According to J. B. Watson “Psychology is the positive science of behaviour”.
According to B.F. Skinner — “Psychology is the science of behaviour of experience”.
According to Macdougall – “Psychology is the positive science of conduct and behaviour”.
According to Sir W. Hamiton – “Psychology, the science conversant about the phenomena of the mind, or conscious subject, or self”
Psychology can be defined as “the scientific study of mind & behaviour, or the behaviour & mental processes, especially as it relates to individual human being.”
Areas of Psychology
Psychology is a board and diverse field. A number of different subfields and specialty areas have emerged. The following points suggested by Pre Primary Teacher Training Programme are some of the major areas of research and application within psychology:
- Abnormal Psychology is the study of abnormal behavior and Psychopathology. This specialty area is focused on research and treatment of a variety of mental disorders and is linked to psychotherapy and clinical psychology. Mental health professional typically utilize the Diagnostics and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders to diagnose mental disorders.
- Biological Psychology, also known as biopsychology, studies how biological processes influence the mind and behavior. This area is closely linked to neuroscience and utilizes tools such as MRI and PET scans to look at brain injury or brain abnormalities.
- Clinical Psychology is focused on the assessment diagnosis, and treatment of mental disorders.
- Cognitive Psychology is the study of human thought processes and cognitions. Cognitive psychologists study topics such as attention, memory, perception, decision-making, problem solving, and language acquisition.
- Comparative Psychology is the branch of psychology concerned with the study of animal behavior. The study of animal behavior can lead to a deeper and broader understanding of human psychology.
- Developmental Psychology is the branch of psychology that looks at human growth and development over the lifespan. Theories often focus on the 101, development of cognitive abilities, morality, social functioning, identity, and other life areas.
- Forensic Psychology is an applied field focused on using psychological research and principles in the legal and criminal justice system.
- Industrial-Organizational Psychology is the area of psychology that uses -psychological research to enhance work performance, select employee, improve product design, and enhance usability.
- Personality Psychology looks at the various elements that make up individual personalities. Well-known personality theories include Freud’s structural model of personality and the “Big Five” theory of personality.
- School Psychology is the branch of psychology that works within the educational system to help children with emotional, social, and- academic issues.
- Social Psychology is a discipline that uses scientific methods to study social influence, social perception, and social interaction. Social psychology studies diverse subjects including group behavior, social perception, leadership, nonverbal behavior, conformity, aggression, and prejudice.
Psychology is both an applied and academic field that studies the human mind and behaviour. Research in psychology seeks to understand and explain thought, emotion and behaviour. Applications of psychology include mental health treatment, performance enhancement, self-help, ergonomics, and many other areas affecting health and daily life.