Potential of Information and Communication Technology
The potentials of ICT in revolutionizing the formal and non-formal system of education in a number of ways are given below by Early Childhood Care and Education:
- ICT can help in a big way to bring the existing educational systems into alignment with the knowledge based information rich society by providing the services of sophisticated tools, techniques and methods at its disposal. By our traditional approach to teaching-learning and ways of maintaining systems of education we can’t prepare our youngsters to face the coming changes in this age of globalization. However, the proper use of ICT may come to our rescue on this account.
- ICT has great potential in bringing a paradigm shift in the traditional views and methods of teaching-learning and instruction in the following manner-.
- In the process of transitioning from broadcast model of learning (teacher broadcasting the knowledge to the students) to interactive learning. As a result it can ensure that students are able to work actively in collaboration with their peers.
- In the process of transitioning from teacher centred instruction to learner-centred instruction. With the assistance of ICT, the students are able to get exposed to large amount of information, and opportunities for collaborating with others in accomplishing complex tasks and effectively communicating knowledge to others. In this way, the students become more self-reliant and self-directed in the acquisition and application of knowledge and skills.
- The potential of ICT in shifting emphasis from teaching to learning has helped in creating a more interactive and engaging learning environment for both the learners and the teachers and, thus, made the teaching-learning process a quite cooperative enterprise and challenging pursuit for the realization of the common goals in an interesting and purposeful way.
- It can help in bringing a necessary shift in the role of the teacher from a mere knowledge transmitter to that of a learning facilitator, knowledge guide, knowledge navigator and an active co-learner along with his students.
- It can provide greater responsibilities on the part of the students for their own learning as they are supposed to seek out the relevant information and knowledge through their own efforts synthesize and share their knowledge with others and grow and develop for the realization of the set educational objectives.
- ICT helps in the process of transitioning of the students from the position of a mere knowledge seeker and knowledge getting individual to those who can think critically and creatively, reflect on their own learning processes and set their individual goals for the growth and development of their potentialities.
- According to Teacher Training Institute, today, ICT has enough potentiality in preparing the teachers for meeting the challenges of the teaching-learning task besides helping them in the proper execution of their multi-dimensional responsibilities of their work areas. It can now be properly infused into the entire teacher education programme (both pre-service and in-service) not only to help them using it for their own education and training but also learning to use it creatively and constructively for fastening the educational growth of their students and playing the role of effective teachers as demanded by the ICT-ruled modern society.