Need for Guidance
“Guidance is a process of interpersonal relationship, designed to influence the attitude and behaviour of the person.” Guidance is the interpersonal relationships, which play its role in determining the degree of success the individual will achieve in the society. Through guidance, the individual can be helped to develop desirable attitudes and behavioural patterns”.
The purpose of guidance is to help the students and teachers in acquiring desirable abilities and skills. -Guidance is a facilitative service. It helps pupil to determine the courses most appropriate to their needs and abilities. Guidance is an essential service to the society.
Need of Guidance: During the earlier days, when the society was less complex, if any family member or anyone in the local community faced any kind of problems, there was always a head of the family or community leader to guide through. Such guidance was an offhand service, without a deep and thorough understanding of the problem. Or, it used to be the domain of the teachers and the parents to guide their children without the assistance of any professional training, which many a times resulted in misleading rather than helping them out. But now it is no longer possible because of various changes in the society and the individual needs and assistance of professionally trained persons.
According to N.T.T. Nursery Teacher Training guidance is needed for the following reasons:
- Educated Unemployed: Due to increase in population and limited job opportunities there is an increase in educated unemployed. By providing guidance the educated unemployed can find job according to their potentialities.
- Developing Curriculum: Our schools are presently facing serious problems at the primary, secondary and higher secondary levels. Guidance services can help the educational authorities by developing curriculum according to the needs and abilities our schools are presently facing serious problems at the primary, secondary and higher secondary levels. Guidance services can help the educational authorities by developing curriculum according to the needs and abilities of the students.
- Career Planning: There is greater awareness of education and career planning which calls for intensive and extensive guidance.
- Social Evils: Guidance is needed to help out youth from kindergarten to adult years to solve social evils.
- Social Change: Due to changes in society there are increased numbers of conflicts within the family and adolescents are passing through stressful situations which result in growing frustrations. Problems of discipline and delinquency are also on the rise.
- Parents and Children Relations: As the life pattern is changing fast and becoming complex, there are increased demands of society on parents, which has reduced the personal contacts between the parents and children. Such developments have resulted in problems of maladjusted children which are becoming very common.
- Job Options: In globalized economy awareness about various job opportunities has increased. A farmer’s son would opt for a farming profession and a lawyer’s son for the law profession, irrespective of their aptitude/interest for that profession. Through guidance, students can be helped to select courses according to their abilities, interests and aptitude.
- Personality Development: Guidance is also needed for an overall personality development of individuals.
- Social Problems: There are a variety of social problems such as crime, child labour, widow remarriage, where guidance is needed.